THE DOVE January 2011
A Letter From our Ninth Rector
Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,
It is with great delight and anticipation that Jan and I look forward to becoming part of the Holy Comforter family-again!-in March. I am both honored and humbled to have been elected the ninth Rector of the parish, and am eager to join my ministry and faith journey with yours. Holy Comforter, filled with people of deep and active belief, has long been a vital, vibrant, and unique congregation, and I am excited to see where the Spirit will guide and carry us in the years to come.
As I said to the Vestry and Succession Committee in October, one of the characteristics that most drew me to submit my name for consideration in the search for a new Rector was the fact that Holy Comforter has always been well loved by its ordained and lay servant leaders, most recently by the inimitable and irreplaceable Fr. Myers, my beloved and dearest friend. I am daunted by the prospect of following in the train of these great predecessors, but also thrilled that God has called all of us together.
As I write, it is the third day of Christmas, the season in which, through the birth of the Child in Bethlehem, God makes all things new. I wish all of you a blessed and joyous Incarnation, bathed in the warmth of God's love; and I hope you will keep me in your prayers in these coming months, as you are already in mine. May God watch over and walk with us, guide and guard us, strengthen and sustain us as, together, we grow in faith and love.
Fr. Jason Parkin
The Baptism of Our Lord Jesus Christ
The Feast of the Baptism of Jesus Christ is one of the great festivals of the Church's liturgical year. Unlike his birth, all of the Gospels record the event of Jesus' baptism in the river Jordan by John the Baptist. The Gospel writers agree that this was a culminating event in salvation history because in the act of this ritual cleaning, Jesus is revealed to the world as the eternal Son of God and the long-awaited Christ who will usher in the Kingdom of God.
Following in our Lord's footsteps, this is one of the four days that we celebrate the Sacrament of Baptism and renew our baptismal covenant during the liturgy, recommitting ourselves to Christ and to the work which he has set for his church to do.
Please pray for John Nicholas Kropp, his family and godparents as he prepares to receive the Sacrament of Baptism on Sunday, January 9, at the 9:00 am liturgy. Join us for a parish reception in the Great Hall following the Baptism.
108th Annual Parish Meeting
During the Annual Meeting on Sunday, January 30, 2011, we will conduct the business of the parish, elect new members to the Vestry, review the budget prepared for 2011, and discuss any additional agenda items.
The Vestry has approved the slate which the Nominating Committee will present to the parish for election to the Vestry. Full biographies of the candidates will be posted later this month.
In the Vineyard
We joyfully announce the birth of . . .
• 8lb 5oz Ruby Louise to Marla and Alton Smith. Ruby has an older sister, 3yr old Stella.
We express our sympathy to . . .
• The Fraleigh family on the death of Jane's mother, Priscilla Jones Castle, on December 19.
• Ron and Nancy Semerdjian on the death of Nancy's mother, Edna Kirker.
• Sue Toth on the December 9 death of her father, Dr. Richard Buenger.
• The D'Arcy family on the death of Tom's mother, Marguerite, on December 8.
We congratulate . . .
• Hal Stewart on his election as Second Vice President of Bishop & Trustees, making him a corporate officer in the Diocese.
We welcome to the parish . . .
• Jack and Jennifer Bevington of Northbrook.
• Bob and Chris Chodos of Northfield and their 8th grade son, Adam.
• Matthew Gonzalez of Chicago.
• David Jones and Heath Howe of Evanston and their children, 3rd grader Eli and 6th grader Sophia Civetta.
• Edith Love of Wilmette.
• Jim and Diane Nothnagel of Winnetka and their daughters, 8th grader Dayna and high school junior Erika.
• David and Melissa Trandel of Winnetka and their young children, Ava and Jude.
• Scott and Anita Tyson of Kenilworth and their children, 4th grader Sheridan and high school senior Gabriel.
Save these dates . . .
Wednesday, January 5
5:30pm 7th Grade Confirmation Class begins
Sunday, January 9
9:00pm Sacrament of Baptism
Thursday, January 20
12:00pm Altar & Flower Ministry Luncheon
Friday, January 21
5:30pm Family Movie Night (Great Hall)
Sunday, January 30
10:00am Annual Parish Meeting
Sunday, February 27
Father Myers' Final Sunday (Homilist & Adult Forum Presenter)
Sunday, March 6
Father Parkin's First Sunday (Homilist & Adult Forum Presenter)
Sunday, March 13
9:30 am "Blues Mass" featuring music by the Jimmy Burns Blues Band
Saturday, May 14
Father Myers' Retirement Party